My research focuses on American political behavior, specifically public opinion and voting behavior. Within that sub-field I specialize in religion and politics, race and politics, and political psychology. Specifically, my main research questions investigate attitudes involving minority groups within society, particularly racial, national, and religious minorities.
My CV is available here.
As of 2019 I am an Editorial Board member for Social Science Quarterly.
My Huffington Post blog entries are here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/benjamin-knoll/
My Religion in Public blog entries are here: https://religioninpublic.blog/author/oinc28/
The Next Mormons Survey
by Jana Riess and Benjamin Knoll
The 2016 Next Mormons Survey is an online public opinion survey of current and former members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the United States. This survey sampled 1,156 self-identified Mormons and 540 self-identified former Mormons between September 8 and November 1, 2016 and is representative of American Mormons and former Mormons nationally. With over 120 questions, it is, to our knowledge, the most extensive collection of Mormon attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors collected by independent or academic researchers to date. For more information, including methodology and published results, see the survey’s website here.
A sampling of published survey results can be found below. A comprehensive list can be found here.
- Several results have been published on Jana Riess’s Flunking Sainthood blog at Religion News Service.
- How Many Mormons “Just Believe” In Their Church’s Teachings?
- A detailed look at Mormon beliefs on evolution and human origins
- Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought: “Infected With Doubt”: An Empirical Overview of Belief and Non-Belief in Contemporary American Mormonism
- Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought: “The Word of Wisdom in Contemporary American Mormonism: Perceptions and Practice,” coauthored with John E. Ferguson III.
- One in Three Mormons Have Had Coffee Recently, Another Quarter Drink Alcohol
- The two kinds of American Latter-day Saints: a Mormon typology
- Forthcoming from Oxford University Press: The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church (2019) Jana Riess.