- An overview of the policy change to halt deportations on some young undocumented immigrants.
- In general, Latinos are more enthusiastic about Obama as a result of this policy change.
- Religious leaders are generally very pleased with this announcement. My own research suggests this will continue to lead to more pro-immigration sentiments among religious Americans.
- Ruben Navarette thinks that this is more style than substance. “Obama’s immigration record is most impressive to those who follow it least closely.” I tend to agree, although it’s still better than nothing.
- To be fair, this was basically the same thing that GOP Senator Marco Rubio proposed a few months ago. Great politics on the part of the president – take an idea from your opponent and make it your own. Bill Clinton did this masterfully all the time in the 1990s.
- Recent harsh immigration measures at the state level in places like Arizona and Alabama are resulting in billions of dollars of business and agricultural losses.