- Wow. I didn’t expect to see Democrats lose Senate elections in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Wow. I didn’t expect that Republican Mike Lee in Utah would get only 61% of the vote, and that the Republican gubernatorial candidate got only 64%. Utah usually elects its Republicans at the state level to the tune of 70-80%. The fact that these Republicans got only 61% and 64% suggests that the political winds were blowing the other way in Utah last night…
- On the House side, Democrat Walt Minnick (ID-1) was defeated by 10%. I used to live in Boise so this district interested me. Looks like the same tide that got him elected in 2006 swept him back out in 2010.
- Over the course of 2006 and 2008, the southwest, upper Midwest, and northeast got bluer and bluer on the congressional map. Not so much anymore.
- Republicans won big in the gubernatorial races yesterday, too. This has implications for the upcoming redistricting battle, as states will need to redraw their legislative districts based on the 2010 census numbers.
- Republicans won almost all open seats where there was no incumbent candidate running (36 of 43).
- And I still haven’t gotten around to the exit polls yet!
- My thoughts on the Trump-Putin Helsinki summit
- Highlights from “The War on Alcohol” by Lisa McGirr
- My advice to Congressional Republicans: fight President Trump’s trade war
- A qualification to David Deutsch’s argument about proportional representation
- “The Beginning of Infinity”: David Deutsch on knowledge and human progress
- There is of course hypocrisy on all sides in politics, but the extent to which rank-and-file "family values voters"… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @DavidAFrench: Legit question: What level of sexual misconduct is "priced in" with Trump? In other words, what revelation would actually… 1 day ago
- RT @Evan_McMullin: As the challenges to our liberty intensify, it will be especially important that we make common cause with other patriot… 1 day ago
- Fair point. Given the math, all it takes is one or two GOP senators to basically shut down anything in the Senate i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @CAPfaith: An Austrian state already plagued with accusations of anti-Semitism is pursuing a policy requiring Jews and Muslims to regist… 1 day ago