Since it hit the low-50′s with sunny skies here in central Kentucky this weekend (and it’s still January!), I spent a lot of time enjoying the weekend with my family. Here are some fun posts from this last week:
- http://www.centre.edu/news/2011/congressionalrecord.pdf - Centre College made it into the Congressional Record. Thanks for the shout-out Senator McConnell!
- http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2011/01/25/20/Overview-__500_billion_cuts_2.source.prod_affiliate.79.pdf - Senator Paul recently introduced a bill to cut half a trillion dollars from the federal budget. Among other things, the bill would eliminate the Departments of Energy and Education, all international aid, all funding for the arts (NPR, PBS, etc.) and reduce funding for the FDA, TSA, NSF, NASA. I’ll say this for Senator Paul: he sticks to his guns.
- http://pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/The-United-States-of-Shame.png - the things each U.S. state is “worst” at. Kentucky has the highest level of cancer deaths, apparently. It might be related to the fact that Kentucky has one of the highest levels of smoking in the nation…?
- http://www.themonkeycage.org/assets_c/2011/01/usofawesome-278.html - the things each U.S. state is “best” at. Kentucky is apparently the “best armed” of all fifty states.
- http://flowingdata.com/2011/01/25/where-people-swear-in-the-united-states/ - where people swear in the U.S. As a social scientist, I of course immediately began to try to come up with hypothesize explanations that explain the different levels of profanity throughout the country. Any ideas?